Are you making fall desserts and your cat wants to lend a helping paw? Maybe your cat is reaching for some of your can of pumpkin and you’re wondering if cats can eat pumpkin? The short answer is yes, cats can eat pumpkin! Pumpkin is a good source of fiber and moisture for cats.
Is pumpkin good for cats?
Plain pumpkin is a healthy food for your cat to eat. It is a natural source of fiber, which aids in your cat’s intestinal health, helping with everything from hairballs and constipation to weight control. Pumpkin is also rich in moisture, which helps your cat stay hydrated.
How to feed your cat pumpkin
It’s easy to add pumpkin to your cat’s diet and it can be fed to your cat in a variety of ways.
What kind of pumpkin to feed your cat:
- Wet cat food made with pumpkin, such as Carnivore Cravings Tuna & Pumpkin Recipe, is made especially for cat’s nutritional needs.
- Canned pumpkin, but be sure it’s plain with no added salts, sugar or spices. NEVER use canned pumpkin pie.
- Fresh pumpkin that has been cooked or steamed and mashed or pureed.
How much pumpkin to feed your cat:
If feeding wet cat food with pumpkin, consult the package instructions. If using canned or cooked fresh pumpkin, you should be careful about feeding your cat too much. Consult with your veterinarian on the right amount of pumpkin for your cat’s size and health.
What other foods are good for cats?
Since cats are obligate carnivores they need meat to survive (or at least thrive). Be aware that there are foods that are dangerous for cats to eat, such as garlic, onions and chocolate. Foods that are healthy for cats to eat include:
- Blueberries make a fun treat with high water content and fiber.
- Cooked eggs are rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.
- Chia seeds are full of omega 3 fatty acids to promote skin and coat health.
Be sure to always talk to your veterinarian before feeding new foods to ensure your cat is eating a nutritionally complete diet.
Not only can cats eat pumpkin, it’s a fun, seasonal way to incorporate fiber and moisture into their diet!
Sign up & Get $3 Off!
Sign up for email to enjoy exclusive offers, new product alerts and more!