How to Keep Dogs Cool in Summer
Summer is a blast for humans and pets alike, and it’s important to keep your pet safe when the hot weather hits. Stella & Chewy’s has some tips to help your pet beat the heat this year!
1. Offer constant access to water and shade outside. This might sound like a no-brainer, but it’s important that your pet has a shady spot if they’re outside with you. Umbrellas, a pop-up tent, or a large tree to lie under are great ideas to keep your pet cool. Make sure to refill water bowls and wash them after outdoor use.
2. Purchase a kiddie pool and add ice cubes for even more fun. This is a great, inexpensive way to help your pup cool off this summer – just make sure you have a designated dog towel before you let them back inside!
3. Set up a sprinkler. This is another great way to keep your dog cool and provide exercise if they decide running through or chasing water is their new favorite thing.
4. Make frozen treats by freezing our Broth Topper in ice cube trays/molds for a fun treat (and a cute photo opp!).* These nutrient-rich bone broth ice cube treats will help keep your dog hydrated and entertained.
5. Put wet food like one of our Stella’s Stews into a slow feeder, Kong, or a puzzle toy and freeze.*This is another way to get extra moisture into your pet while also providing an enriching activity to keep your dog cool in the summer
6. Always carry a portable water bottle and collapsible bowl when you take your dog for a walk or go on an adventure.
7. Enrich the water bowl. Sometimes, getting pets to drink on their own can be a challenge. Make the water dish more enticing by adding some of our Broth Topper, fresh fruits, vegetables, or ice cubes.**
8. Brush your pet regularly. This helps remove excess winter undercoat that may contribute to trapping heat. Unlike shaving or grooming which removes the fur, brushing simply thins the coat and keeps the fur that protects a pet’s skin from sunburn.
9. Avoid hot sand and pavement. If you can’t touch the pavement with your bare hands for more than 10 seconds, your pup’s bare paws can’t either. Consider investing in a pair of booties to keep your pet’s paws safe and cool during walks, hikes, or beach days.
10. Be mindful of when you go for walks. Take your pet out for longer walks in the early morning or late evening and keep walks short in the middle of the day when the heat is at its peak.
11. Provide a towel soaked in cool water to lay on or wrap a wet bandanna around your pet’s neck to help them stay cool.
*Once frozen, our broth topper and our Stella’s Stew’s should be stored in the freezer in a covered container – these frozen cubes will be good for 10 days.
**If food or broths are added to the water, be sure to change the water out regularly to ensure water safety.
From all of us at Stella & Chewy’s, have a safe and wonderful summer!